The Vettery marketing team runs hundreds of paid marketing campaigns to help candidates find our platform, but they don't have a way to customize the page they promoted. This is bad for the performance of the campaigns and is a poor candidate experience.
I treated this project as having two sets of users: The Vettery marketing team, who needed a way to reach different groups of candidates, and the candidates, who needed to be convinced that Vettery was worth registering for. While it was up to the marketing team to create the custom campaign pages for candidates, I understood that creating hundreds of one-off campaign pages was a huge lift, and time-consuming for the team. Ultimately, it seemed like the team could benefit from a templatized approach to creating campaigns.
I wanted to assess the shortcomings of the current experience. I worked with the marketing director to gather insights around current campaign performance. I noticed that many of our top performing campaigns focused on relocating to a new city, using a new skill, or joining a startup. This information was missing from our current page so it seemed like a prime opportunity to include it.
In drawing inspiration, I focused primarily on other marketplace businesses and collected a variety of examples from large and complex to small and simple. These became valuable tools for gathering feedback before I began designing.
I wanted to understand the level of flexibility of the content that would go into the LP template, so I brainstormed content categories with the director of marketing. We sorted the content into two groups: "swappable" content that would be customized for each campaign, and "static" content that could be consistent across all the campaigns.
Given that our project goal to improve the efficiency and autonomy of landing page creation, it seemed that defining a clear and established workflow for the marketing team would be a key deliverable (alongside the template itself).
I facilitated a brainstorm with key stakeholders (marketing, engineering, product), during which we determined that the simplest, most accessible way for the marketing team to create new pages was by updating a shared spreadsheet.
This project was a great opportunity to leverage the new Vettery design system that I worked on. As one of the first projects to use the system, the component library was still limited. The registration landing pages would only have access to the button, text, image, icon, and layout components.
Given the project goal of increasing registration, the CTA for candidates to register felt like the highest priority component to explore. I designed a few approaches and tested them at different screen sizes and with different content, keeping an eye out for visual balance and hierarchy.
We needed a flexible way to share campaign-specific information. I looked back to my inspiration and found a content block on the Shopify landing page that could support the type of variation that our Marketing team needed for multiple campaigns. By swapping out the icon and the content, the same component could be used multiple times on a single page and support all the variation across our campaigns.
I combined the banner and the content blocks into a final design. Both the clientele section and the "How Vettery Works" were based on the current design with adaptations to make them more responsive. Based on the page length I added a second CTA at the bottom of the page to reinforce the action that we want the candidate to take (register!).
My product manager and I worked together to break down the designs, giving labels to each piece of content and building a spreadsheet for the marketing team to populate the pages for their campaigns. We also worked with our engineering team to make sure that the pages were being populated and responding as intended.
857 Pages created
Within the first couple weeks the marketing team had created 857 pages are already being used in campaigns.
Increased registration rate by over 250%
The campaigns using the updated landing pages saw the registration rate increase from 2% to over 11%. This was a larger increase than any previous marketing update.
Decreased costs by 60%
The Google quality score of the new pages was improved 35 points which resulted in a 60% lower cost per register. Blowing our expectation out of the water!